The Teaching Young Learners Extension Certificate (TYLEC) is validated and awarded by Trinity College London, UK.
TYLEC is an assessed course which focuses on both the theoretical and practical aspects of teaching young learners.
This intensive, practical course includes
• Practical seminars and workshops: There are over 50 hours of input sessions which focus on different aspects of teaching young learners, such as classroom management, getting YLs to write, supplementing and adapting published materials, using games and stories in the classroom.
• Teaching practice and feedback: You will teach 5 hours (1 hour diagnostic and 4 hours assessed lessons) of lessons with 2 different levels and age-groups. In either individual or small-group feedback sessions, you will discuss the lessons taught and receive verbal and written feedback from tutors. While you will receive time and support from the course tutors when planning your lessons, you are encouraged to work more independently as the course progresses.
• Observations of other teachers: You will have the opportunity to observe 6 hours of live and filmed lessons taught by peers and experienced teachers.
• Assessment: As well as the teaching practice element of the course, you will complete 2 written assignments. One of these involves keeping a teaching practice journal and the other allows you to adapt or develop, use and then evaluate materials with one of your groups.
Our teacher trainers are experts in their field and use a variety of effective educational methods and strategies throughout the course. All have extensive experience teaching young learners and are involved in training and supporting teachers within the Bell organization.
Real teaching experience
As TYLEC is taught in our school, you will be immersed in a real teaching environment. Teaching practice takes place in our classes, and we will make sure you teach appropriate classes at two different levels and ages.
What is provided?
All essential teaching and learning resources for the course are provided. Bell has a library of study and teaching books, photocopiable material and other resources useful for planning and teaching lessons for young learners. You will have access to photocopiers, computers and printers and will be given training in how to use interactive whiteboards.
TYLEC is an assessed course accredited by Trinity College London. In order to pass the course, you will be assessed on the lessons you deliver and on 2 written assignments. You will be informed at each stage of the course of your progress: if you are not meeting specified criteria for any reason, you will be given clear information and advice on how to improve. On the last day of the course, a moderator from Trinity College will visit the centre to ensure that the course has been run according to the requirements of the organization.
How to apply
If you would like to apply, please complete the application form and pre-interview task. You can post or email it to us, but we do need to receive it in your own handwriting. You will then be invited for an interview.
Please contact us if you’d like more information before you apply:
• Tel: +41 (0)22 749 16 00
• Email: email@example.com
• Fill in our online contact form