The Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) qualification is awarded by Cambridge English Assessment, a part of Cambridge University, UK.
CELTA is an assessed course which focuses on practical skills, introducing you to hands-on teaching experience straight away.
This highly intensive, practical course includes:
- Practical workshops and seminars: there are 120 contact hours in the course including workshops and seminars which focus on language awareness, phonology, language learning, teaching methodology and professional development.
- Teaching practice and feedback: you will teach six hours of classes attended by multi-lingual adult learners of English. In a feedback session you will discuss the lessons taught and receive individual verbal and written feedback from tutors.
- Observation: you will observe a minimum of six hours of classes of experienced teachers.
- Lesson preparation: lesson preparation is initially supervised by the course tutors, but you are encouraged to work more independently as the course progresses. By the end of the course you should have a basic toolkit which allows you to teach effectively in an EFL classroom.
- Five weeks face-to-face
- Requires attendance Mondays to Thursday, 09.00 to 17.00
- You will teach two or three times per week. Evenings and weekends will be used for lesson preparation and written assignments
- This course is for people that can devote the entire five weeks to the course.
- 10 weeks face-to-face
- Requires attendance Mondays and Friday from 08.30 to 17.00
- There will be approximately 10 hours per week of lesson preparation and written assignments outside the school hours
- This course is for people that need more flexibility than the intensive course offers.
Our teacher trainers are experts in their field and use a variety of effective educational methods and strategies throughout the course. This means trainee teachers benefit from an outstanding learning experience themselves before applying the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own classrooms.
Real teaching experience
CELTA is taught in our school, so you will become immersed in a real teaching environment. Teaching practice takes place in our classrooms, with enthusiastic people from the local community that want to improve their English (Bell offers all lessons with trainee teachers free of charge to students).
Please note that the course is very intensive. Most participants tell us that they spend many hours researching language, completing written assignments and preparing lessons. This course provides you with a basic toolkit for teaching English and covers a lot of ground; although we look at some language analysis, and tutors will support you, the assumption is that you will research grammar and language issues for lessons outside the sessions.